Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Adventure / Puzzle games on the Nintendo DS

A couple of days ago I was browsing through video game articles/reviews (specifically for the Nintendo DS) and read something about the "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" game-series. I had often heard and read of them, but they never really caught my attention. But since many people seemed to love them, I looked up the reviews and what I read actually convinced me to give it a try. I opted for the newest one, "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney" (22 $ shipped from Amazon).

I kept reading and browsing, one thing lead to another and I ended up finding out about a whole bunch of adventure/puzzle games for the DS from the last couple of years I had not paid much attention to. It seems like there are quite a lot of hidden gems on that system.

I checked out the "Professor Layton"-series next and I ended up getting the latest installment, "Professor Layton and the Unwound Future". (15 $ from Best Buy, using 15 $ in rewards-coupons. Best part: the cashier had trouble at check-out and ended up giving me back 10 $ in rewards for the hassle. :)

Now defunct video game developer "Cing" has a bunch of interesting games as well. I bought their second DS game, "Hotel Dusk: Room 215", a loooong time ago (must have been one of the first games I got for the DS).
Their first game was "Another Code" (titled "Trace Memory" in the US, got it for 27 $ shipped from eBay) and they later made a sequel to "Hotel Dusk" called "Last Window: The Secret of Cape West" (16 $ shipped from eBay). This one only came out in Japan and Europe because Cing went bankrupt and closed their doors before they could release it in the US.

Other games I got:
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (28 $ shipped from Amazon)
Secret Files: Tunguska (15 $ shipped from Amazon) This is a port of a PC game, but it looks alright and I thought the price was okay.

These look like I might like them as well:
Ghost Trick
Time Hollow

A lot of these are a bit older and not all stores carry them.
What initially turned me off with these games is the graphics, they seemed to be aimed at a younger audience. But from what I read, this is a false impression for many of them.

No comments: